By Jennifer Robertson
- Covers a huge diversity of concerns, together with the colonial roots of anthropology within the eastern academy; eugenics and country construction; majority and minority cultures; genders and sexualities; and type and meals cultures
- Resists stale and deceptive stereotypes, via offering new views on jap tradition and society
- Makes eastern society obtainable to readers strange with the country
Read or Download A Companion to the Anthropology of Japan (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Anthropology) PDF
Best anthropology books
What want is there for kinship? What stable is it besides? The questions are as previous as anthropology itself, yet few solutions were enduringly persuasive. Kinship structures can give a contribution to our enslavement, yet extra usually they enable, channel, and facilitate our relationships with others and our additional fashioning of ourselves—as kinfolk but additionally as topics of different forms.
Emphasizing the function of shuttle and migration within the functionality and transformation of id, this quantity addresses representations of trip, mobility, and migration in 19th–21st-century commute writing, literature, and media texts. In so doing, the publication analyses the position of some of the cultural, ethnic, gender, and nationwide encounters pertinent to narratives of commute and migration in remodeling and problematizing the identities of either the tourists and "travelees" enacting within the borderzones among cultures.
The advertising of night-time economies on the town centres throughout Britain has sparked new fears approximately sickness, violence and binge-drinking. notwithstanding, there was little attention of the social and cultural advantages of a various city nightlife. This well timed paintings examines the strategies that experience ended in a mainstreaming of subcultural expression at evening, and the effect of laws aimed toward offering the police and councils with new powers to regulate and include the ’social challenge’ of latest nightlife.
■ Zur Geschichte der Anthropologie■ Vom Wesen der Erfahrung■ Das Bild des Menschen im Lichte der modernen Anthropologie■ Mensch und Institutionen■ Über Kultur, Natur und Natürlichkeit■ Die Technik in der Sichtweise der Anthropologie■ Die gesellschaftliche scenario in unserer Zeit■ Enzyklopädisches Stichwort: Philosophische Anthropologie■ Literaturhinweise■ Personen- und Sachregister
- Extractive Industries and Ape Conservation (State of the Apes)
- Building the Devil's Empire: French Colonial New Orleans
- Splicing Life?: The New Genetics and Society (Cardiff Papers in Qualitative Research)
- Aboriginal Peoples in Canadian Cities: Transformations and Continuities (Indigenous Studies)
- Wine and Culture: Vineyard to Glass
- Rank and Privilege: The Military and Society in Latin America (Jaguar Books on Latin America)
Extra resources for A Companion to the Anthropology of Japan (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Anthropology)